A beautiful page of Breton history
The Castle, built in the 16th century on the site of an old Gallo-Roman “villa”, brought up to date in the 18th century, is one of the most harmonious of the great Breton castles with its “attic” pavilions. , its chapel matching the cellar, the dovecote and the fruit tree framing the moat…
Each of its facades: on the “French garden”, the “carousel garden”, on the main courtyard and on the grand perspective, is remarkable for its apparent symmetry and the succession of its plans.
The constructions, so different in period and character, have been added to one another in growing interest.
Mr. Paillard du Hac, with such sure judgment in matters of regional architecture, will make this significant evocation about La Bourbansais in its current state: “Between the old towers, the characteristic geniuses of Jean Androuet du Cerceau d’ a Jules Hardouin Mansart gave, by their meeting, a particularly happy expression of the art of building”.
This former residence of Members of the Parliament of Brittany has been in the same family since its construction in 1583.
A program of total renovation of the roofs in 6 phases was initiated in 2007. A jewel of Breton architecture, and a major place to visit, very widely open to the public, the Château de La Bourbansais benefits from a partnership with the State, the Regional Council of Brittany and the General Council of Ille-et-Vilaine without which this major operation would be impossible.
Quality companies, maintaining real know-how and specific skills in France, are chosen and managed by a Chief Architect of Historic Monuments.