Historical

Historical & renovation

separator


The origins of the Domain date back from the first century. The Gallo Romans settled here and founded a “fundus”, an agricultural explotation. They built a villa and named this area “Land of Bourbonia”, like the godess “Burbonia”, godess of waters and thermal baths.

The Château was built in the sixteen century, in 1583, by a man called Jean du Breil. At this time, the château was smaller than today. It was only composed of the façade and the two towers. The first modifications was made in the seventeenth century, with the construction of the west façade, in front of the french gardens. Then, in the eighteen century, the family owner of the château, the family d’Armaillé, wanted to receive their guests with fast and luxury to show their power.

That’s why were added the two wings, the french gardens and the ground floor was transformed in french salons for receptions. The two wings were the apartments of the guests who could stay here more than a month.

The façade is said “Renaissance” because the large symmetry with the windows.

They are two elements of the medieval time like the donjon and the ditches.

There are two antiques elements like the monumental entry and to finish gotics elements with the decorative elements above the windows.

In fact, it’s a particularity of the château: it’s still in the same decent since the sixteenth century. But the names changed 4 times with the weedings of the daughters when there wasn’t sons.And since 200 years, it’s the family de Lorgeril.

Small maintenance and major work…

A vast estate like La Bourbansais continually needs various maintenance jobs v(painting, joinery, masonry, roofing, etc). According to the archives, major roofing and framework were undertaken by the great-great-grand-father of the present owner in 1870. La Bourbansais Chateau receives grants from the state, the Conseil Régional de Bretagne and from the Conseil Général d’Ille-et-Vilaine for the maintenance of the property.

Here is an example of a chronology in photographs of the full renovation of the southeast tower which took four months.


 

 

labels

Parc zoologique & Château de la Bourbansais

Parc zoologique & Château de la Bourbansais
La Bourbansais
35720 | Pleugueneuc | Bretagne | France

Tél : 02 99 69 40 07
Fax : 02 99 69 49 65
Email : contact@labourbansais.com